Thursday 30 September 2010

Urban Decay - The Black Palette



It's taken a while but I've only just got a properly functioning camera.
My latest object of lust is Urban Decay's Black Palette. True, I do tend to hoard shadows that are good for a smoky eye look but the idea of several all in one place was just too much to resist.
First of all, the packaging is gorgeous. It's black & glittery, pretty much my favourite kind of packaging. Admittedly, I'm not sure how this particular palette would hold up to regular abuse in a bag since it is made of cardboard. I've managed to take it out with me a couple of times with no obvious signs of wear or tear.
It's the inside that counts, right?


There's six shades inside this little beauty: 
Black Dog - matte black



Barracuda - shimmering gunmetal



Jet - shimmering purple



Sabbath - shimmering dark blue



Cobra - black with golden shimmer



Libertine - black with green shimmer

The palette also comes with a mini 24/7 Glide-On eyeliner in Zero & a mini Primer Potion in Eden. The Primer Potion doesn't actually fit inside the palette, which is a shame as it would be great to be able to store it all together.
As far as how the shadows wear? I've read on other blogs that the colours don't stand out as well without wearing a coloured base under them. I've only worn them over MAC's Greasepaint Stick in Slick Black (you could substitute Zero here or something like MAC's Blacktrack Fluidline & get the same result) and I've been very pleased with how they looked. They showed true to the pan colour.
Blending them was easy going, they didn't turn muddy or lose their sparkle in the case of the shimmery shades. Black Dog was a very easy to blend matte, much more user-friendly than MAC's Carbon. It was a very solid matte black shadow, the only other in my stash to come close to the fantastic Bulletproof by Sugarpill.
Fall-out wasn't at all traumatic. I always do eyes then face, especially with a smoky eye & make a point of tapping off any excess shadow on my brush. Even so, I didn't have to clean anything up before going on to do my foundation & I didn't look as if I'd ran head first into a disco ball. Definitely not a problem like some of UD's other glittery shadows.

Is this palette essential? Not if you have a good stash of shadows that make for great smoky eyes. NARS' Night series boasts colours that could easily dupe some of these (Cobra is like Nightclubbing, Libertine is like Night Porter and Night Flight is a darker version of Sabbath), and the Mineralise shadows from MAC that came out with the Style Black collection is a more glittery, amped-up alternative.
If you do have a weakness for smoky/rock 'n' roll eyes & want the ease of a palette with several options in one place, the Black Palette is certainly worth a look. It's also worth investigating if you don't have anything similar. The only caveat being that you will need a separate brow highlight colour & maybe something to blend it out with.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment