Friday 28 March 2014

Sugarpill - Brushes Part I

Recently, the ever-fabulous Sugarpill Cosmetics launched their own range of brushes. One of my favourite brands, brushes, pink? No-brainer, these were definitely a must-have.

Four different brushes to review here, so for the sake of brevity, I'm going to split this into two reviews, with two brushes per post.


The first brush under review is the Tapered Blending & Crease Brush.

Tapered Blending & Crease Brush


Nothing too fancy with regards to packaging, but it's all about the contents within. With crease brushes, I tend to prefer a narrower brush for myself, but I carry a few different ones in my kit.





Sugarpill's is similar in size, tip-wise, to a MAC 224. It's a touch larger than the blending end of the double-headed brush that comes with the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette.

For my personal use, I've never got along well with the MAC 224. I use it frequently whilst freelancing, and have no trouble with it, but it doesn't work well with my eyes. I have better luck with the UD brush, but I tend to mostly use a MAC 217 for blending.






Despite being of a similar size, I found Sugarpill's blending brush far easier to work with. The tip looks a slight bit more tapered, so this could be why I have better success with it.
It's made of incredibly soft synthetic hair, and it does a great job at blending out crease-work so there's no harsh lines.



Next up, we have the Large Eyeshadow Brush.






Since I have small lids, I prefer to use large eyeshadow brushes like this to do a wash of a neutral colour as a base, and to apply my brow highlight shade.






MAC-wise, this is probably most comparable to the 252. The Sugarpill brush has more hairs and the tip tapers slightly toward the centre.
The 252 has the edge when it comes to cream products, but for powders, the Sugarpill brush more than has it covered.
It picks up plenty of product & deposits it evenly. As with the blending brush, its synthetic hairs are incredibly soft (don't you just hate stiff, scratchy brushes?).






This has quickly become my go-to brush for a wash of base colour. For intricate corner-work on my small lids, it's a little too large, though.


For the second half of this review, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment