Tuesday 10 April 2012

Illamasqua - Human Fundamentalism - Eyes



I recently went to my local Illamasqua counter to check out the Human Fundamentalism collection and, of course, came away with a few bits & bobs from the collection, as well a couple of other things. Some pieces that are part of Human Fundamentalism were already in my stash too. Since there's quite a few photos & swatches, I decided to break this up in to two posts. This one concentrates on eyes & the second, which will follow shortly, is all about lips.

The first item that grabbed my attention is the Powder Eye Shadow in Burst. I've been having a bit of a love-affair with teal recently, so I knew that Burst had to be investigated.

Burst
Burst is a gorgeous, matte teal. The texture is soft, but not overly powdery & it has great pigmentation to it. It applies easily & blends beautifully.


If you've read some of my other posts, you may have guessed that I have a bit of an obsession with black eyeshadows. When I saw the pictures of the new black shadow that's a part of this collection, it went straight on to my list of items to have a peek at. Here, in all its glory, is Obsidian.

Obsidian


Illamasqua already have some black shadows; Lestat is their matte black. Obsidian has a very slight shimmer to it, don't let that put you off if you're not into shimmer. Rather than giving it a glittery or frosty finish, the tiny shimmers lend a very slight sheen to Obsidian, it still looks more like a matte but without a dull, flat finish.
Obsidian is a very deep, dark black, more so than Lestat. Pigmentation-wise, it's a great shadow; you'll get true-to-pan colour, not a washed-out grey/black. Application is easy as it's not a hard, chalky shadow, which also makes blending easy.

Left - Obsidian, Right - Lestat - in direct light, no flash


Left - Obsidian, Right - Lestat - with flash


For these comparison swatches, I applied both shadows dry, straight on to bare skin. 


The next shadow, Can Can, is one I already had. Described on Illamasqua's site as a bright Lilac Purple, Can Can looks almost pastel in the pan but it's a vivid, matte purple. Can Can looks great paired with darker purples, silvers & black. As with the other shadows, pigmentation, application & blendability are all great.

Can Can




The next item from Human Fundamentalism I bought is the Precision Ink in Scribe. This is an unusual purchase for me; I don't really wear white eyeliner. The reason I decided to get Scribe is to do nail art (yes, it seems like a strange idea but it really does work) & also for effects, like polka dots.


Precision Ink in Scribe


Scribe, like the other Precision Inks, has a tip that is more of a felt-tip type than an actual brush. There's a fine point to it so you can create fine lines as well as thicker ones. It applies quite easily & doesn't skip or drag. Although I prefer to use a brush, this is definitely one of the better applicators of this kind that I've tried.

Scribe


The last eye-related purchase was the Medium Pencil in S.O.P.H.I.E. As well as being a good black eye-liner pencil, it's also named in honour of a great cause; the Sophie Lancaster Foundation. Every purchase will see £3 go to the foundation.
S.O.P.H.I.E. is quite a creamy pencil, so it glides on easily. Once it's on, it stays put for quite some time, especially if you set it with a powder shadow, so it's perfect for lining your water-line with.

S.O.P.H.I.E. Medium Pencil


Now, on to the swatches! As with the comparison above, these were all done on bare skin & using the shadows dry.

Obsidian, Burst, Can Can - outside, no flash

Obsidian, Burst, Can Can - with flash


Obsidian, Burst, Can Can, S.O.P.H.I.E. Medium Pencil - with flash

No comments:

Post a Comment